Here’s a great opportunity to join a multi-agency disaster response exercise, regardless of your level of previous engagement with TRUK.
WHAT: Volunteers required to deploy on SIMEX – a multi-national, multi-agency disaster response training exercise.
WHERE: The Team Rubicon input will be split between two locations:
- Team Rubicon UK Headquarters, Chilmark, Wiltshire SP3 5DU.
- Fort Widley, Portsmouth, Hampshire.
WHEN: Saturday 6 May – Thursday 11 May 2017 (including mission-specific training and debriefing).
The SimEx series of exercises have taken place annually over five years and are run by Portsmouth University. They are used to accredit various UN / INSARAG assets. The exercise utilises a mixture of live play and simulation at the tactical and operational level to practice and test both national and international emergency response mechanisms. As such the exercise will concurrently run a domestic and an international disaster. The overall aims of the exercise are to:
- Improve and build International and National response capability
- Promote coordination of humanitarian/public assistance
- Research and evaluate emergency management systems including institutional and legal frameworks.
There will be over 2000 players from the following key organisations including:
- UN (UNDAC, INSARAG, OCHA, FCO, DFID) These are key agencies in growing our reputation in the international response community.
- UK Government (DCLG, NHS, EA, Police, Ambulance, Fire, 13 LRFs). There is a focus on TR’s Spontaneous Volunteer (SPONVOL) processes which have just been pushed down from Civil Contingencies Secretariat as a key area of need. SPONVOL is a key capability gap for Local Authorities and thus an area we can add real value and build our reputation.
- Education- the Portsmouth University’s Crisis & Disaster Management MSc students are being assessed as co-ordinators of the exercise response and a number of educational assessments will be taking place.
- At least 10 key NGOs
Team Rubicon UK will deploy volunteers as follows:
- UK/Domestic. We will deploy an Incident Management Team (IMT) and two strike teams (20 personnel) to demonstrate SPONtaneous VOLunteer (SPONVOL) management.
- International. An IMT and two strike teams will potential to trial the Light Assessment Team concept.
- Exercise Assistance. TR will have a footprint within EXCON and also provide role players.
All members, regardless of previous TR engagement will be considered and are encouraged to apply. You must be registered as a Team Rubicon volunteer to participate.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR (SELECTION CRITERIA):
Because we have three different roles in the SIMEX, there is a wide variety of skills and experience required from none to uber-ninja Incident Management Team specialist. But don’t worry, we won’t ask you to do anything beyond your capabilities!
Let us know on the sign-up form what you are interested in doing, and we will select people for roles based on:
- Previous TR training and experience
- Previous training and experience outside of TR
- Relevant skills – there are many we can use!
If you are allocated a place on SIMEX we will send you Joining Instructions by email.
Up for it?
Firstly, if you are not already signed up, register now as a Team Rubicon volunteer.