General Fundraising FAQs
TRUK would love to shout from the roof tops about your event – telling as many people as possible about what you are doing is key to making it a huge success. Whilst TRUK can't publicise the event, we do have a few “TR Top Tips”.
- put up flyers and posters
- contact your local paper and radio station
- check if there are any other local listings you can post your event on
We can also help with social media - tweet us about your event using @TeamRubiconUK and we will try to retweet to our followers. You can also post on our Facebook page.
We are incredibly grateful to anyone who has decided to fundraise for TRUK, unfortunately we cannot help pay for your event. Every penny that comes into TRUK is allocated and spent to support individuals that have been affected by natural disasters around the world. We therefore hope you will understand that we cannot use any money we receive to pay for events.
TRUK are extremely fortunate to work with a small network of large and well-known companies. We are incredibly grateful for the support they show us, and to respect this partnership we do not give out corporate contacts.
Once you have registered your plans, we will send you through a “kit list” request form which we would ask you to complete. This form will then automatically be sent back to the team and we will ensure you receive the right promotional items for your event.
Whilst TRUK would like to attend every event that is being put on to raise much needed funds, we are a very small full time team. We have an incredible network of Greyshirt volunteers, however, they all have busy professional lives, families and other commitments and we need to reserve all their “TRUK time” for deployments, training and volunteering at HQ.
We will be with you in spirt though and thank you very much for your support!
If you would like to use our logo on any marketing materials, please click here for access to our special supporter logos.
Finally, please do not take our logo straight from the internet; it won't be high enough resolution for what you want, and won't be the correct one for what you need.
You may need to take out event insurance and public liability insurance, depending on your intended event. An event insurance company would be able to advise you on the right level of cover required to suit your plans. The different types include:
- public liability cover
- event cancellation insurance
- travel or health insurance
- cover to meet any contractual conditions
- damage to property owned, hired or borrowed
If the fundraising is by a group of people attached to a firm, the company’s insurers may consider providing some cover for a staff or customer charitable event. Check with your company first.
We would love to, as having a celebrity at your fundraiser would certainly raise the profile, but unfortunately TRUK cannot organise this for you. If you would like to invite a celebrity, we recommend getting in touch with their agent.
If you are planning a lottery (such as a raffle, tombola or sweepstake), you should be aware that there are strict laws and rules about what you can do.
For those in England, Wales or Scotland, the Gambling Commission publishes useful guidance about these at www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk
The Northern Ireland Council for Voluntary Action publishes guidance for Northern Ireland at www.nicva.org
Yes, TRUK welcomes all fundraisers no matter what their age! If you are under 18 or have people involved in the fundraiser that are, please make sure they have permission from their parent or guardian, and are supervised by a responsible adult.
To register your fundraising plans, a parent or guardian would need to complete the form on your behalf.
Children should never approach strangers about fundraising. It is illegal for children under 16 years of age to participate in public collections. Never leave your children unsupervised during an event or fundraising activity.
We recommend you purchase a lockable box so if you are running a stall or taking donations you can store the cash in a secure location.
At larger functions, handling the money is a full-time job for one of the organising team. It is good practice for two people to be present whenever cash is handled and, wherever possible, the money should be counted/verified by both people. Everybody should be conscious of security and the possibility of theft.
And finally don’t forget to get plenty of money bags from the bank for all the coins and hopefully lots of notes!
Post Event FAQs
Firstly, a huge thank you! The money you have raised really will make a huge difference. So that we can help as many of our beneficiaries as quickly as possible, we would really appreciate receiving the money you have raised as soon as possible, preferably by the next working day. Thank you for your support.
You can pay your money in a number of ways:
At the bank
Our account details are:
Account Name: Team Rubicon UK
Account Number: 83126668
It is also very important that you email [email protected] once you have deposited the money so we can then allocate your funding achievements and send a receipt/thank you. Please include your name, address and
Event Registration Number. This is so we can trace your payment and ensure we can thank you for your hard work.
Please send us a cheque, made payable to Team Rubicon UK, and covering letter to –
Team Rubicon UK
If you have set up an online page with Crowdfunder, your donations will come directly to us, but please make sure you tell us when your fundraiser has finished, so we can thank you for your hard work. Please email [email protected] with the information.
At TRUK we love to hear about all the amazing things our supporters do. It might be possible to give you a shout out on our social media channels, depending on operations, please email [email protected] with your Event Registration Number and your twitter handle.
Donating to TRUK by text message is a quick and easy way to support us in our mission to reach vulnerable people stricken by disasters. All you have to do is text 5-digit code 70085 and the amount and your donation will be added to your phone bill or deducted from your pay as you go credit.
1. 100% of your donation goes to TRUK (registered charity in England and Wales (1163214).
For each text message sent, you will either be charged the amount your state with a default sum of plus your standard network message charge (based on your service provider rates) via the reply confirmation text message; the charge will show on your bill and the sender will show as a five-digit number (the “billing short code”). Please note where you have donated £20 or £30 you may receive more than one message depending on your network operator. This is normal and a consequence of your network operator’s billing processes. This will show on your bill as either multiple charges of £10 or one charge of £20 or £30 (as applicable).
How donation charges are shown on your bill is subject to your networks process.
2. No VAT will be charged on your donation.
How will my donation be spent?
Find out more about what we do, or see a detailed breakdown of how we've spent our income in our annual review.
Who can donate?
3. You must be aged 16 or over to send a text donation.
4. Please note that you can donate using this SMS service from a UK mobile only. You cannot donate using this service from a Channel Islands, Isle of Man or another non-UK mobile.
5. If you donate using this service from a UK mobile when you are outside England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, you may incur additional network charges levied and retained by your network operator.
6. You must obtain permission from the bill payer before sending a text message.
Can I donate by text?
7. You must be 16 years old or over to send a text donation, unless a different age limit is specified next to the relevant keyword below.
Where can I send text donations from?
8. You can only donate from a UK mobile. You cannot donate using this service from a Channel Island, Isle of Man or other non-UK mobile. You must obtain permission from the bill payer before sending a text message.
9. There is no limit on the number of times you may donate via text but there is a daily limit (midnight to midnight) of £30 on text donations to each short code from the same mobile number.
Further text donations will not be accepted if you exceed this daily limit (so you will not be donating these additional amounts to TRUK), but you may still incur your standard network message charge.
If you would like to contribute more to TRUK, you can donate online HERE.
Incorrect keywords and short codes
10. If you enter the keyword incorrectly, your donation to TRUK may not be successful. In these circumstances you will receive either: (a) an error message, in which case you will not make a donation, but you may still be charged your standard network message charge; or (b) a confirmation message that your donation has been successful, in which case you will be charged the relevant donation amount plus your standard network message charge as set out above.
11. If you send your text message to an incorrect short code, or you otherwise fail to correctly follow the instructions in these Terms and Conditions, you will not donate to TRUK, but you may still be charged your standard network message charge.
Cost of donating by text and what TRUK receives
12. All texts are charged at the amount set out for the relevant keyword below plus one message at your standard network rate (based on your service provider rates); the charge will show on your bill and the sender will show as a five digit number.
100% of your text donation will be received by us.
13. There is no limit on the number of times you may make a donation via text but there is a daily limit of £30 on text donations. You will not be able to donate more by text from the same number on the same day, but you may still incur your standard network message charge if you try.
14. If you are a UK taxpayer, your donation may be eligible for Gift Aid. This means we can claim an additional 25p in Gift Aid from the Government for every £1 you donate.
We may contact you by text on the mobile number you used to give you the opportunity to add Gift Aid to your donation. If you are sent a link to a page where you can submit your details then, as with any mobile browsing, you may incur charges from your network provider.
How to contact us
15. If you would like to discuss your mobile payment, including refunds, please contact us at [email protected].
16. All personal data held by us will be handled in accordance with applicable privacy laws and TRUK’s privacy statement which can be found here.
About Gift Aid
Gift Aid is a government initiative that allows donations given to charity to be tax-effective. As soon as you give your permission, by completing our Gift Aid declaration form, we can claim the tax back on your donation.
You qualify for Gift Aid if you meet the following criteria:
• You are a UK taxpayer
• You pay enough tax*
*You pay Income Tax and/or Capital Gains tax at a rate at least equal to the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all all your donations in that tax year, otherwise it is your responsibility to pay the difference.
How to Gift Aid your donations?
1, Donating through our website here ensures Gift Aid happens automatically with no further need for information. It is quick and simple for all parties involved.
2, If you want to send in a cheque to Team Rubicon UK, Unit 8, Chilmark, Salisbury, Wilts, SP5 1AN with a completed gift aid form you can download it here:
3, If you want to send money by bacs please use account details
Team Rubicon UK
A/c bank account no. 83126668
Please download and complete the form and either post to us or e-mail it to [email protected].
If you are a higher-rate tax payer you can also claim additional tax relief. For higher rate tax payers (paying tax at 40%) this works out as 25p for every £1 you donate and for the highest rate tax payers (paying tax at 45%) this works out as 31p for every £1 you donate.